Monday, March 28, 2011

A doozy of a DAY 6....$8/day challenge.

While most of you were sleeping last night at around midnight, I (along with a "coupon Partner-in-crime") was out at King Soopers doing a little coupon shopping.  If you read day 5, you know that I was out of many household essentials.  Although I purchased the produce and milk, I still was in need of pasta and COFFEE!!  I knew waking up without coffee was NOT an option, so I headed out to the 24 hour Kings, coupons in hand of course.

I spent about 30 minutes clipping and printing coupons and had a strategic plan of attack for my late night bargain hunting.  I had a coupon for EVERY single item I placed in my cart.  There was no room for error in my plan.  I WILL need gas this week and we NEED some rollover cash!  Below is what I purchased:
That right there friends is: 1-package oscar meyer Bologna
                                           1-package oscar meyer Hot dogs
                                           1- loaf Natures Own Multigrain Bread
                                           3-Yakisoba noodle dinners
                                           2-Brawny Paper Towel Rolls
                                           3- Vitamin Waters
                                           2- Fuze drinks
                                           3-boxes Rice-a-roni
                                           1-Annies Mac and Cheese
                                           1-Pasta-roni
                                           3- Franks Red Hot Sauce (2 wing sauce)
                                           9- boxes Healthy Harvest angel hair pasta
                                           2- bags Healthy Harvest egg noodles
                                           4- boxes Healthy Harvest Penne pasta
   and last BUT NOT least 1- Can of Folgers coffee (this is a sore subject since i usually only get starbucks whole bean!!)

TOTAL BEFORE COUPONS: $82.51
TOTAL AFTER COUPONS and SUPERCARD: ..........$3.10 !!!!  (which provided us with a positive rollover of $4.90...Total Rollover $10.07!)

  I must say, even though I had a plan and my list was all coupon/sale items, I was SHOCKED at my total.  I made some overage with the hot sauce and got ALL the noodles free, along with some other free items!  For a list of items on sale, check This out.

After stocking up on most everything we need to get us through the week (minus meat) I knew what else we REALLY NEEDED....haircuts.  You see, I get a haircut once a year.  I know that sounds extreme, but much like Sampson I have some crazy hair-cutting complex (blame my mother, she would never let me cut my hair as a little girl).  It has actually been 15 months since my last haircut...don't fret though, I have a voucher purchased through a daily deal website that I have to use by June :) !!  Unlike me, the three men in my life get haircuts monthly!!!!!  It drives me crazy and even with coupons, it gets VERY expensive.  Yesterday at church I looked at my little Lukey and could hardly see his eyes over his shaggy mop top.  Today, in a DIRE attempt to adhere to our strict $8/day...I, Kate Wadlington, who can't cut a straight line, CUT my child's hair.  And guess what.....It doesn't look horrible (just don't look closely!).  Personally I think it looks just as good as his last choppity-chop from Sports Clips.  Now, If I could only convince my husband to let me near his precious golden locks.....
TOTAL FOR HAIRCUT: $0


Tip of The day: Break out of your comfort zone and give something you never thought you could do a try!  Who knows, you might even be good at it! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my flipping GOSH......$3.1o !!!!!! Oh please, please, please let me go with you guys next time you shop. I need coupon support or more training or something...LOL..../s/Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with Beth!!!! I want to go with you next time... PLEASE!!! Huerta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me three! We'll be a coupon mops mob! lol ;)
    Call me crazy but I have been cutting my boys hair from day one (they have maybe gotten 1 or 2 professional hair cuts in their lives) and my hubands hair for the last two years. They need a hair cut every month x 4 = not gonna happen! lol Be glad you have boys, there is no way I would attempt to cut a girls hair! ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my hero! Please take me with you next time!
    Do you always buy extra papers fro additional inserts or do you get the extra coupons somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna, I ask neighbors, friends, people from church and clients I clean for for their extra inserts. I try not to spend any extra money on papers unless I absolutely have to!

    ReplyDelete