Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 5: $8/day challenge:

I want to be completely honest with you all, this challenge has been MUCH more difficult then I had thought.  All weekend I had the urge to go out and spend money (which is RARE for me!).  I truly believe that living without all the "stuff" I "think" I need has been eye opening...AND very challenging!

Sunday morning the boys and I headed out to church.  We had a lovely morning of worship and spent the rest of the day relaxing and getting some tasks crossed off our to-do list.  One of the things on my to-do list was to go through the fridge and cabinets to see what essentials we would need for the week.  Low and behold guess what I discovered?  We, the Wadlington's were COMPLETELY out of milk, most produce, PASTA, and COFFEE (and if you know me, you know that Katie without coffee is not such a pleasant thing).  It was pretty obvious that all of our money (even rollover) would be spent on essentials.....or so I thought.....

I knew Safeway was having a sale on grapes, and I also had a $2 off a $6 or more purchase in the produce section coupon.  I headed out the door after about 10 minutes of coupon prep.  I quickly picked up some grapes, banana's  and apples in the produce isle then headed to pick up the milk.  My eyes started wandering and I noticed they were running a "frozen food extraordinaire".....this is no bueno for a coupon mom with an $8 budget and a cart full of produce!  I figured out that with all my coupons and savings card, I could still manage some frozen food items.  My husband does not cook, so frozen pizzas are a staple in this house!!  Below is a picture of what was purchased:
That right there is : 3-frozen pizzas, 1-12 count cookies and cream ice cream sandwiches, 1-gallon milk, 5-braeburn apples ($.99/lb.) bundle of banana's ($.49/lb) and some delicious green grapes ($.99/lb.)

TOTAL SPENT AFTER COUPONS AND SAFEWAY CLUB CARD: $10.40!!!! (even though I had to dip into our rollover, I was pleasantly surprised with how low my total was considering all that I bought!  Total rollover used: $ 2.40...Total rollover remaining $5.17)

I would encourage anyone who needs frozen food items to head over to their local Safeway store.  In the flyer at the front of the store, there is a coupon for $5 off your frozen food purchase of $15 or more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment