Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 13: A major bust!

My big boy Jack will turn 5 in a couple weeks and I can hardly believe it!  He is not-so patiently awaiting his "Super Mario Brothers" birthday party and asks me every day..."how many more days till my party?".  With that said, today I realized I better get my show on the road if I am going to be ready for a "Super" birthday party! 

This week one of Safeway's in store coupons featured Kelloggs fruit snacks for $.99.  Since these are usually priced at over $2/box, AND they have mario themed fruit snacks, I knew this was a deal I could not pass up.  Jack picked up 2 boxes of the mario fruit snacks, and one box of princess snacks for all his lady friends (my boys IS a looker)!  The cashier was awesome and even did some mario voices for jack!
TOTAL FOR 3 BOXES FRUIT SNACKS (will be for the goody bags): $3 (it rang up strange and charged me no tax?!?!?) 

Next, I had promised the boys a movie rental and they were STOKED that "Tangled" was released today!  Thankfully, I had a free code to Blockbuster for a free rental...would you expect anything less?!?!
TOTAL FOR FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT: $0

Somewhere between here and there, our day went from TOTAL awesomeness to a TOTAL disaster.  Luke would not nap, Jack was over emotional, and I had HAD it with their fighting.  I knew I had to go to King Soopers to buy things for at least a few nights of dinner.  The thought of taking my possessed children out in public was terrifying....even worse than the thought was the actual outing itself.  Allow me to explain....

You see, the kind people at King Soopers know me.  They know me as two separate entities.  First, I am the jovial coupon shopper who always stops to ask you how you are, talk about your kids, let you know whats going on with me...overall this shopper is GREAT....Then there is the crazy lady who drags her two screaming children in the store.  It is inevitable that Luke will climb out of the cart and run away from me.  This lady is a mess....she is usually yelling at her kids, and is near tears.  Today I was the latter.  It was a DISASTER.....at one point a sweet old lady stopped me, grabbed my arm and said "oh honey, we've all been there, hang in there".  I wanted to cry.  So with that said, I did what any other super mom would do, I grabbed a donut out of the bakery and shoved them in their faces...BAD move.  It actually made the situation worse.  So after not paying attention to what the heck was in the cart, I proceeded to the self check-out....two screaming children in tow.  All together this is what I purchased:

We needed ketchup, grapes were on sale for $.88/lb, dusty requested Bratwurts so we needed buns, Chicken legs were on sale for $.99/lb AND they were marked down on managers special :) (this will be our protein for about 3 meals) AND if you notice, there are some powdered donuts snuck in there....mama was stressed!
TOTAL SPENT ON GROCERIES....$8.31!! AHHH, my first day of going over our $8!  Thankfully we did have $4.10 rollover. 

TOTAL SPENT DAY 13: $11.31  (we used all $8 and $3.31 of our rollover..ugh oh....Total Rollover: $.79)

Tip of the day:  If you see me in the grocery store with my two monsters, slowly turn around, walk away and pretend you do not know me.  Really all joking aside, please extend grace to those you see struggling out in public. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh sweet mama, we all go through it! Luv ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! I blame "shopping with my kids" for my lack of coupon-awesomeness! You still rock it, even with demon kids in tow.
    If it makes you feel better, I was yelling at my kids at the mall today for notlisteningtomenomatterhowmanytimesitellthemitistimetogo!!!! Even the little teenagers that work at Justice were peeking out of the little windows at me. Not a proud mommy moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KATE YOU ARE DOING GREAT I LOVE YOUR BLOGS KEP GOING YOU ROCK..

    MONICA..

    ReplyDelete